Sunday, July 8, 2007

Starting a great adventure!

Hello all! Well, tomorrow I start my great adventure of my first adult job. Before starting, I've been encouraged to read through several websites and blogs in order to begin to conceptualize what I need to accomplish in the upcoming year.
A very interesting discussion that read is on this website:
http://www.socialedge.org/discussions/philanthropy/global-youth-volunteerism
This discussion brings up many major issues about volunteerism, whether local or international. I know as a recent graduate of Northwestern that one of the major lessons that is drilled in our heads is to volunteer: time, money, talent, you name it. I can't think of one person that I have encountered in my time at Northwestern who hasn't wanted to make a positive impact on the world. However, as my boss, Dan Bassill has pointed out time and time again, it's one thing to build a house on a Saturday afternoon or volunteer at a soup kitchen on Thanksgiving, but it's another to build a relationship with someone and help them week in and week out. For this very reason I think that Cabrini Connection, Tutor/Mentor Connection is one of the most concrete ways one can make a positive impact on someone else's life. I am a huge believer in the power of tutoring and mentoring and I think it's such a privilege that I get to work for an organization that accomplishes such concrete results.
I believe that a graduate of Northwestern, working in Chicago, I have a huge resource base of friends, professors and others who I think have the potential to help make this concrete difference. As mentioned in the discussion above, universities are an enormous research in the volunteer-based non-profit world. Even as students (or post-graduates in a lot of cases), we have so much to offer. If you're interested in becoming involved in any way, please let me know!

No comments: